Sunday, March 8, 2009

Preface

I must first apologize to anyone whose eyes may reach the pages of this blog who actually know a thing or two about writing. You see, by profession I am a technical writer, even though I despised English classes in school, I now write 100 to 500 page documents about real estate. Allan is my father, and although I am his oldest child, I seem to have the least in common with him when compared to my siblings. Of course that didn’t mean that he loved me any less than his other children, or that I loved him any less than any loves his father. But it does mean I did not inherit his creativity and deeply philosophical mind. I will try to throw away my technical writing habits and think and write as my father would have, but I know those that love creative writing like Dad did will see right through it. I will include as much of my father’s thoughts and words as possible, but if you find the writing a bit drab, or if words and thoughts seem forced, at least you know why.

I have found it hard to decide whether or not to use the present tense when describing characteristics and traits of Dad. Although Allan has left this earth, I know along with those who were closest to him, that we will again experience one of his loving hugs. He will be the same Allan, kind, gentle and with an infectious sense of humor. But this is intended to be a work to commemorate his earthly life, to give an example of faith for his posterity to see and to honor a life that was full of steadfastness and true prosperity. So, past tense seems to be the most appropriate. Allan was defined in all aspects of his life in his faith in Christ. As his course in this life will attest, he recognized his gift of faith.

I should make a note about the title of this work, As a Man Thinketh. This was derived from one of Dad’s favorite scriptures in the Book of Proverbs, “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” It also appropriately describes one of his most dominant character traits, that of a thinker. This truly defined who he became as a husband, father and friend. You will just have to trust me when I tell you that the title was conjured before I became aware of a relatively famous American work with the same title, written by James Allen in 1905. A novel written about the very same scripture in Proverbs, it is very similar to some of the theories of Dad’s life, and to be honest, I would be surprised if he hadn’t read it. So I will incorporate some quotes from the novel intermittently in the posts for your enjoyment. I’m sure Dad would appreciate that.

This blog is designed to give everyone who knew Allan a forum to contribute to the finished product of his biography. I have collected a good amount of information about Dad in his early years and beyond, but in no way claim to be an expert yet other than in my own experiences as his son. Please leave comments and give suggestions/corrections. Like all of us, his life was molded and influenced by many, many people, and it would only be fitting if his biography was constructed in the same fashion. Share this with anyone and everyone who you think would like to contribute to or benefit from the events and lessons than made up Allan Garth Kjelstrom.

12 comments:

  1. John, Great start and great writing. !! NO apologies necessary. So far I think you have captured alot of Allan. Great picture, too. The baby is Spencer Axel Kjelstrom, our last child. Every one of you loved to fall asleep on his comfy chest and of course he took every opportunity to read whenever he could. Great idea. Love, MOM ( Janice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sooner than 2 hours after posting this blog and first sharing it with Allan's wife and kids, Janice called and informed me that she still has a copy of the novel "As a Man Thinketh" which my dad had underlined profusely. What a perfect example of how this blog could uncover so much of Allan's life. Don't be shy to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I have one suggestion that you may not be aware of-you can have multiple authors on blogs so that instead of just leaving comments your mom and siblings can actually post their memories and ideas onto the blog. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We talk of your Dad all the time. How Joseph especially misses their great discussions. I am sure he influenced Joseph to finally write his own book. The evenings spent on the couch listening to the two of them discourse are innumerable! I have seen a copy of Allan's book "Ruffles". Do you have a copy? I think that was his first try at children's literature. Good Job on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have a copy, although unfinished. Katrina is going to do some illustrations. She is also doing some illustrations for a children's story cowritten by you and Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, you definitely do not need to apologize for your writing. This is a great thing you are doing for your dad and your family. When I think of your dad I think of someone whose thoughts and thinking were infectious. He loved to share his thoughts and ideas, and it was always interesting and sometimes entertaining to follow his thoughts. I was not around your dad a lot, but when I was, I paid attention to what he had to say or what he had to share. I remember that in his last year, he and your mom came down to Virginia on a surprise visit to share me and Lory's 25th wedding anniversary dinner. I was so touched by that visit and the honor of having him and your mom there. Your dad left you all too soon, as did my dad leave me and my siblings too soon. I have often thought about writing my memories of my dad too. May God bless your work on this project. Love, Uncle Ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. The theme for this week's blog seems to be books
    so I thought I'd tell you that when I first met Allan he had just finished serving in the army for 4 years in Germany. He told me he had 1 suitcase of clothes and 1500 pounds of books that the army shipped to the US from Germany.Now,I helped move those books alot, and I know for a fact each small UHaul book box filled weighs about fifty pounds . If my math's right, that's about 30 boxes of books. During our married years that number increased to fifty. And Dad had handled and treasured each one!! I've been having trouble posting comments, so I'll stop short here and see if I can get this to work. Next time I'll share a little about Horton Hears a Who.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie, would tell everyone how to become an author of this blog? I can't figure out how to do it. Does John need to do something on his end (as original author) before we can add ourselves as authors? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dad has definately left his imprint on everyone he knew. I know I certainly think of him often. It happens mostly when I am reading a book myself, or a movie of a book that I know dad read and would be extatic about the movie - Like the new Star Trek movie coming out! aaahhh Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, I'm not sure how to get multiple authors either. I think Stephanie had just heard of it being done. If you or anyone would like to write a section of one of the chapters, email it to me and I will post it as a guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As it turns out, Dad was very familiar with the work "As a Man Thinketh" I ahve posted a picture of his old, tatered copy to the Preface pictures link.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John,
    I cannot see the pictures you added. It says (when I click on the link) that I don't have access.

    ReplyDelete