Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Family Man

Allan’s family truly encompassed his life. There are only a few periods in his life that wasn’t influenced or centered on his family, whether it was his parents, brothers and sisters, his kind extended family, in-laws, or his wife and children. He often spoke about his wife and kids with his coworkers and business associates leading several of them, when asked to comment on Allan’s life, to designate him as a “family man.” In a life statement which Allan wrote in college, he states seven lifetime goals, one of which was “to have a strong, interdependent, autonomous and spiritual family.” He envisioned his family would be built on the values of service, self-sufficiency and the doctrines of eternal life. It is only appropriate to recognize Dad’s love for his family and some of the principle he strived to live by in building and maintaining family relationships.

In some notes on a talk Allan gave in a church meeting on the topic of families, he gives three main points to becoming a better husband and father. “First,” he says “we need to understand and believe in ourselves.” Allan teaches us that we should understand that we are children of God and that we are not alone. It is abundantly clear that Dad understood this principle. He would frequently teach this to his children in family home evenings and share testimony of it in more public settings. Many, many of his journal entries have an eternal perspective and his discourses on prayer and the knowledge that God loves us were abundant.

“Secondly,” he continues, “we need to know how to relate to others.” He instructs that our relationships should be based on love, honesty, sincerity, and commitment. It seems this was one of Dad’s life ambitions, to be a master at relating with others. This is demonstrated in his aspirations to teach and to perfect his aptitude for telling stories. As his son, I can personally attest to his commitment to developing healthy relationships. As I grew, I became more and more attracted to athletics and the outdoors. Neither of these were favorites of my father. He would just as well have a comfortable lawn chair and a good book, or be engaged in a philosophical conversation on a porch swing. But he knew how important his relationship with his son should be and he also knew the greatest way to show love for his children was to spend time with them. Dad took a sincere interest in some of my activities. One I remember in particular was baseball. He never professed to have any kind of special knowledge about the sport but very rarely declined the invitation to play catch, or take batting practice. On one occasion, he even took me into the city to watch a Mets game as a belayed birthday present. His dedication to his relationships with his children became a great strength in his family.

“Third,” he teaches, “we need to prepare some needful things.” He references Doctrine and Covenants 88:119; “Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God.” So many of his experiences were focused on his family and establishing these essential characteristics of a righteous home. David O. McKay, the president of the church for nearly all of Allan’s youth, and not coincidentally one of his favorite prophets and speakers, said in a general conference address; ”The bringing of children into the world bears with it great responsibilities and opens to view the noblest purpose of life, namely, a co-partnership with deity ‘to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.” As his actions confirm, Allan truly was a “family man.”

5 comments:

  1. Its interesting. The more time on my mission i spend the more i discover about myself. When i was younger I felt i "got the shaft" ,so to speak, in not getting to know dad. But the more i learn about him and myself the more i realize we are so much alike. I was telling my companion in the MTC when i finished reading "Our Heariage" one of the few books i can read. I told him i think i like David O McKay the best or I identify with him the best. And in some of dad´s books I find myself thinking exactly what he wrote in the the margins.
    Its funny how the Lord blesses us.
    So keep writing the mmore i learn about him the more i learn about me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from Katrina: John

    I have been wanting to contribute to this but i have been having a hard time remembering specific experiences with a story. So what i will do is email you what i remember and then you can do with it as you see fit. When i get back from moms house i will find my old diaries and see if i have any thing in that i can use. Or if it jogs my memory.

    I remember dad having a daughter daddy day. We would go out and do something and then go to dinner or get ice cream. I dont rmember speicifc things we did though.
    I remember having PPI with dad, he would check up on all us kids spiritually and emotionally, usually on a sunday.
    I remember swimming with dad and he would always let us step on his knees and then he would pop up and we would flip backwords. That was fun. He had to stop because we were getting bigger and he back was not as strong.
    I remember when i was in high school when we lived in colorado, i was good friends with a friend and Laura would invite me to her church all the time. Laura and i were planning and practicing to sing in her church. (Her chruch was a modern christrian church that had a band and everything.) Laura and i were planning on singing and dad was not too happy. He thought i was going astray. Mom convinced him to let me decide for myself but to support me by going to the concert, even though it was on a sunday. Personally i never liked her church it was really weird. How can you feel the spirit when there is a drummer and an electric guitar etc. Needless to say i never strayed.
    I remember taking a driving trip with just dad and i to Utah to go to grandpa's funeral. I got sick on the way. Food poisoning, car sick, i dont know, but i was not looking to good and i was not feeling to good. Our car over heated, this was dead in the middle of the summer, we had to pull over to let it cool down. A cop came to see if were ok and saw me in the car not looking to hot. Asked dad to stay in the front of the car and came around to ask me if he was my father and if i was ok. I said yes, the cop left. It was nice to go to dad's funeral with just him. We sat up front were the bishop sits, we road in a limo, dad spoke, i dont remember what he said. I remember family drama with a second cousin of ours.
    I remember when we were leaving new york to move to colorado, dad was already in colorado starting his job. He was staying with family friends, the durrants. I remember mom and dad saying that since i was just a big helper while dad was gone they were going to fly me out so i could stay with dad and help him find a house for the family. I flew out and stayed with the durrants with dad. We stayed in there basemement. I dont remember helping much but we ended up with the house that had the mother inlaw appartment that you stayed in.
    I also remember when we were moving from colorado to pennsylvania, dad was staying with the pitzers and melissa and i drove our mini van out with a some boxes to meet up with dad. We also stayed with the pitzers until the rest of you guys came. YOu and uncle joseph drove the moving truck and mom and grandma flew with the other kids.
    I do remember dad writing me a letter when i got my young womenhood award. I think it was that award. I will have to see if i can find that letter. I am pretty sure its in one of my journals. Its directed just to me, which is very nice, now.
    I remember when we were living in new york there was a skating rink down the street from where we lived. I was not home by curfew, he came to get me with his pj's on. He didnt use the intercom system, he told the owner or manager something because he didnt pay to come in, but he came in and found me, embarrased me in front of my friends and dragged me home.
    I was a friends b-day party, in new york, they were having a slumber party, but i could not stay over because it was saturday night. When i got to the pary they were playing white which white which, light as a feather stiff as a board and other evil inviting games, with scary rated R movies etc. When dad came to pick me up i was beside my self. I was afraid and dad told me to say a pray and ask for help. I dont remember if i did and i dont remember what happened, i just remember dad ended up giving me a blessing of confort and then mom and dad banning me from ever going inside that friends house again. she could come to our house and i could play with her but not inside her house. My freind didnt like that very much so she wasnt my friend any more.

    Ok i guess i remember more than i thought. I have to go but i will email when i get home after i have found my journal.

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. A comment from Melissa:

    "Out of all the kids, I believe that I worried Dad the most. Especially the summer before I married Ryan. I was the child who challenged the beliefs I grew up with the most (at least out loud). The summer before I married, I was dating a non-member and was questioning everything I was taught while growing up. i even stopped going to our church and started going to to the church of the guy I was dating. Dad noticed that I was reading literature of this church I started attending. He approached me and very calmly expressed his concern. He said that if I really felt I needed to read this literature he wouldn't say anything - on one condition. That condition was once or twice a week sit on the porch swing with him at night and talk to him about what I was reading. He also said that I could ask him any question I wanted and he would do the best he could to answer. I remember a couple of times I asked a question and he wouldn't know how to answer. So he said that he needed to ponder on the question and our next meeting he would give the answer he found (or recieved). I truly believe that this act of supporting me in my investigating my own testimony and standing in the church by Dad (and Mom...quietly) was HUGE in where I am today. That was a crossroads and I am glad that he was there to guide me in the right direction."

    ReplyDelete
  4. A comment from Janice:

    RE: books and Dad - Dad's favorite children's book was Horton Hears a Who. I still have the one that he bought so that he could read it to you. I don't know if you remember, John, but he read it to the younger kids. I think he liked it because it was about a character who was very big ( Dad was self concious about his size) . But Horton still was a thinker and could appreciate the value of something small. ( Whoville). I think it is ironic that Spencer, our last child , at the age of 16 was in a play just this year - called Seussical , the Musical which is all about Horton Hears a Who. Allan also like Seuss's " Oh, the thinks you can think" . That also is a good statement for Allan . One of his favoritepasttimes was being a "think tank" . You might have a chapter on all his ideas, including the science fiction club he started as well as the HIRS group HOLES IN ROCKS SOCIETY. I also have his rock that has a hole in it. But back to books for a minute.... we tried to give the 'family' a Christmas present of a book every year for Christmas. HortonHears a Who was given one year; William Bennett's book Heroes was another year, Santa's Year Off another year. I read a note in a past journal when we made a goal for Allan to read a bedtime story at least twice a week to spend more time with the kids. I think we might have done that for a little while - I'd have to ask the girls.....

    RE: Family Man: A poem Allan wrote when requested by Relief Society for Mother's Day..I don't know if you can use it... Allan wrote it in a hurry before a RS event where they presented a poem to each sister. I think it's interesting and 'revealing . .the beginning was given: I have a wife her name is Janice

    I have a wife
    her name is Janice
    T'is supposed to be a juicy poem,
    Perhaps no one will notice.

    My dreams are often masses
    of clouds and moons and seas,
    sprinkled well with dust and storms
    and fires consuming the trees.

    But Janice clears the visions
    of pitted paths with iron rods,a tree
    the fruit taste sweetest is
    and home together in eternity.

    She knew not what she married,
    Till ere the vows were made.
    Contented now to hone the edge,
    to make for better us, the blade.

    A child to some is burdensome
    for the labor, the care and conversation.
    I weep when I see the play, the song, the story
    of this mother's direction.

    The chores and duties of home,
    can often be and sometimes is
    a bore, to understate,
    and drives home to her the pain; she sits.

    Order out of chaos and
    accomplishments out of dreams,
    This she daily struggles with
    amid vacuums, washers, and screams.

    A million pounds of books
    to move, who has time to read.
    And just as many pounds of husband
    to shrink, and push out front to lead.

    One last drop of juice to squeeze
    One thing I want all to see
    In spite of all the words and phrase,
    I love her and she loves me.

    I've got another tub of letters to get out.... I'll send more later. More pictures later as well .

    Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom...I love that poem!!!! How come I've never seen it before! That was written right before Relief Society? I love it!!

    ReplyDelete