Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Different Kind of Transfer

West Virginia was Allan's last area of his mission. He flew home to Utah as the family's first returned missionary. It was only a few days after arriving at home that he moved into Deseret Towers and prepared to begin school at BYU. However, it wasn't to be. Although Allan had a few part-time jobs already he could not afford tuition and was forced to think of alternatives to college; including the military. Allan remembers, "I figured I can go through the military. They can give me the G.I. Bill, which will pay for my schooling, and help me to get through that period. And so that's what I was figuring on doing. I also had great delusions of gradeur. I was going to be a ranger, a special forces. I was going to do all that strange stuff, like jumping out of airplanes and stuff like that. And they convinced me, well, we've got to start you off in the infantry, and they if you like that-because basically, that's all the special forces and stuff is, is really just glorified infantry. And I reluctantly agreed to that, so I went in the infantry."

No comments:

Post a Comment